Protect Our Penalty Rates

Inmates send jails to blazes – The Daily Telegraph

Aug 22, 2017

Prison Officers Vocational Branch Chair, Nicole Jess discusses the latest heated issue Correctional Officers are required to deal with in their workplace.

Inmates send jails to blazes - The Daily Tele 19 August 2017small

POVB member update

Aug 21, 2017

POVB member update – August 2017 (PDF version)

Benchmarking

Dave and Darren were at Mannus and Cooma last week for their benchmarking meeting. Their presentations were as follows:

Cooma

  • Gain 2 SCOs
  • Gain 2 COs

Mannus

  • Gain 2 SCOs
  • Loss 4 COs

We will work closely with the delegates and members of each location through the process and the risk assessments.

We have the following locations to be benchmarked and their dates:

  • Dillwynia – 20/09/2017
  • Emu Plains – 26/09/2017
  • Grafton – 10/10/2017
  • Glen Innes – 11/10/2017
  • MSPC – 19/10/2017
  • Long Bay Hospital – 25/10/2017
  • Special Purpose Centre – 26/10/2017
  • Dawn De Loas – 31/10/2017
  • Outer Metropolitan Multipurpose Centre – 1/11/2017

South Coast CC was in dispute with its figure of 117 and this has been finalised and all parties are happy with the outcome.

Staffing numbers have been increased and the staff they received for the extra beds will be remaining. I wish to personally thank Liz and Graeme Reid who never stopped fighting worked tirelessly for the membership down there. I know there were other members integral in the fight also and I thank them too.

Cyclic rostering

Jason, Darren and Andrew Brown are attending a meeting this Wednesday for cyclic rostering and also roles and responsibilities of SCOs. Information will be distributed after this meeting for members to disseminate and then get back to us with any issues.

John Morony

There have been several meetings at JM about HR issues. JM had a work ban in place – acting up due to dissatisfaction with HR information being issued. However, this ban has been lifted and dialogue has improved. It looks like all members will have a positive outcome from their preferences for placement. I have written to CSNSW asking for right of return to the complex if anyone does not get their first preference. CSNSWN has not been adverse to this option however we are hoping that this will not have to happen.

There will be another meeting this Tuesday, which Jason will be attending, and we will know more from that meeting.

Consultative meeting

We met with CSNSW on Wednesday and many issues were raised.

When minutes are completed I will disseminate them. The main issues that were raised were:

Assault committees: This has been an ongoing issue. Many of you may remember when there was an assault committee held every two months and looked at assaults on staff. We are not looking at that but each centre hold a committee after a staff member is assaulted. This is to look at correct paperwork, alerts, management of the inmate, welfare of staff member and if police were called if required etc.

Debriefing after use of force: It was raised that most centres are not having debriefs after use of force. Staff are being asked about EAPS and the process is to generalised. Debriefs should be happening to discuss how things could be done differently, such as the right equipment, correct response and improvements.

RIT policy: It was noted the PSA has written to CSNSW about the RIT policy and to date we have had no response from the Department. CSNSW has stated it is coming. If the response is not acceptable, we will be looking at putting the issue before the IRC.

Back pay – casuals H/E: CSNSW have completed an analysis and payment should be getting completed in the near future. We will continue to chase this issue up.

Individual issues

PSA/POVB have been successful in getting an officer from South Coast reinstated.

There has been a permanent demotion lowered to only two years.

If you are not in the legal fund, two dollars a week is sound security for you if or when it is needed. If you know of anyone, who is not a union member I encourage you to push the reasons why staff should be a member. Disciplinaries are on the increase and if someone is not a member, it can be a very lonely fight.

Also, everyone needs to know that if you were not a member at the time of the incident, PSA/POVB cannot assist. You cannot join the union after an incident or when you get a show cause letter and think that you are entitled to representation.

Contact details

If anyone has any questions please contact one of the executive:

Nicole Jess – Chairperson
0427 609 199

Jason Charlton – Vice Chairperson
0401 500 967

Thor Sutherland – Country Chairperson
0447 633 476

Natalie Howes – Secretary
0407 011 441

Darren King – Assistant Secretary
0407 935 039

POVB John Morony update

Aug 14, 2017

POVB John Morony update – August 2017 (PDF version)

As you all would be aware, the John Morony contract to keep the facility in public hands was signed this morning. There had been rumours the centre was still going private, but today these fears can finally be put to bed.

Many members may be aware that last week John Morony had an acting-up ban in place. Several rumours went around in regards to the bans, but these were placed due to members not being happy with the HR process for staff to other centres.

Jason Charlton, Dave McCauley and I attended a meeting with HR representatives, Governor Ivan Calder (bid team), Malcolm Brown (JM Acting Governor Current Centre) and delegates Pat McKay and Colin Brice on Friday, 11 August, 2017. The meeting was productive and positive outcomes were reached. These outcomes were put to members, so the bans were lifted.

We will be meeting again tomorrow at John Morony where we will have more information as to staff placement at other centres. There will be another meeting the following Tuesday for the next step in the process.

There will be a meeting on Thursday, 17 August 2017 for SCOs to be told the operation of the centre under the new contract. This will give current SCOs the opportunity as to whether or not they wish to remain at the centre.

There are 62 positions to be filled in the centre. The majority of these positions will be casual to permanent. If you are a casual who did not apply for casual to permanent approximately four or five months ago, and who is interested in John Morony then please forward your expression of interest/resume to Effie Serena via email.

The POVB Executive will continue to work closely with the delegates of John Morony and the members during this time of change.

Nicole Jess
Chairperson, POVB

If anyone has any questions they wish to inquire about please contact:

Nicole Jess – Chairperson
0427 609 199

Jason Charlton – Vice Chairperson
0401 5009 976

Thor Sutherland – Country Chairperson
0447 633 476

Natalie Howes – Secretary
0407 011 441

Darren King –  Assistant Secretary
0407 935 039

POVB member update

Aug 4, 2017

POVB member update – August 2017 (PDF version)

This week has been an extremely hectic one for the state Executive and the week has not finished as yet. The week has transpired as follows:

Monday – St Heliers

Monday started with benchmarking at St Heliers. This centre’s benchmarking is:

  • Loss 1 MOS
  • Gain 4 SASs
  • Loss 3 ASs
  • Loss 1 SCO
  • Gain 4 COs
  • Loss 1 SOS

We will continue to work closely with the delegates and members at St Helier’s in regards to the proposal and the risk assessments that will need to be conducted. Several of the State Executive had not been to St Heliers and they were impressed by the centre and its location.

Cyclic rostering

Straight after the meeting on benchmarking with St Heliers, the Executive met with Kevin Corcoran, Glen Scholes, Matt Jones and Gary Stokes to discuss cyclic rostering.

Firstly, let me state we have sought legal advice and cyclic rostering comes under managerial prerogative so there is no legal avenue that can be taken to stop cyclic rostering. Going around the centres there is a varied opinion on whether cyclic rostering will be good or bad for members.

At the outset of the meeting Mr Scholes stated that he wanted POVB to be included in the process or formulating the business rules for cyclic rostering, which we accepted. This committee will discuss all issues and included in these discussions will be how Easter, School Holidays and Christmas will be done under cyclic rostering. We will keep members updated as these meetings take place.

Some points that were discussed are as follows:

  • Ellipse will no longer support CSNSW past 2019. Current system will not integrate to SAP which all government agencies will be working under
  • Booked leave can be moved and, if under the 30-day cap, it can be cancelled
  • Leave can be accrued over the 30 days if approved for special reasons, such as an extended overseas holiday or caring for a relative
  • Swaps can be done on a phone, laptop, computer at home and will not have to go through managers. If the swap meets the business rules it will just go through
  • No longer stretches of nine or 10 days straight
  • Staff can swap a line for a month
  • Staff can swap a day off from one month to another month.

There will be presentation to each centre in regards to this topic and a member of the POVB Executive can be present for all of them.

If you have any questions that you want put to the committee when meeting on the business rules please email them to the Executive.

MyPerformance

This meeting was conducted after the St Heliers meeting also. Many members would know about MyPerformance and would be taking part in the trials. Trials have taken place in the following locations:

  • MNCCC
  • South Coast CC
  • Wellington Cluster
  • Macquarie CC
  • Parts of Cessnock

Since being elected as yet we have had no complaints re MyPerformance.

MyPerformance is a legislative requirement:

GOVERNMENT SECTOR EMPLOYMENT ACT 2013 – SECT 67 Performance management systems

67 Performance management systems

  1. The head of a government sector agency is responsible for developing and implementing a performance management system with respect to employees of the agency.
  2. The government sector employment rules may deal with the core requirements of any such performance management system.

It was made clear to the Executive that CSNSW wanted this to be a positive process for staff and that staff have their work goals met. If a staff member doesn’t want to progress to a higher rank that is fine, they just have to meet the mandatory training requirements.

Julie Bond requested a review committee be formed to go over the centres that been in the trial. This was agreed to so further information will be given after these meetings.

CSNSW also stated that from this process and through the centres that have been trialled they were able to get $50,000 for training that has been shown is required and wanted by staff members

The Executive did raise that there was concerns that nepotism would come into play and only opportunities in training and career advancement would be for certain people. It was pointed out by putting staff goals on this computer system it will hold managers and directors responsible to just this issue.

The Executive is happy to work through any issues that members may have with MyPerformance and any questions you may have please email us with them.

Tuesday – tour of the Hunter

The Executive, Non-Custodial representative Scott Chapman, POVB Industrial Advocate David McCauley and PSA Senior Industrial Advocate Julie Bond toured the Hunter Rapid Build.

The centre is basically identical to Macquarie centre in Wellington.

However, the portholes for the disbursement of gas is in different locations (basically this change is due to different builders, but poses no issues) and the gate house is different.

We were informed there is a greater interest in staff wanting to go to the centre and CSNSW have got a good understanding of the staff who want to go. There will be opportunities also for casuals to convert to permanent positions at this centre also.

Members of the Executive and Mr Chapman then toured Cessnock ¾ as they had not seen it and were able to get a better understanding of that centre.

As with Macquarie Centre we will work through any issues that may arise when both centres become operational.

Wednesday – benchmarking Cessnock

We attended the presentation of Cessnock benchmarking and unfortunately the presentation only confused members and the Executive. This was due to the presentation showing figures as if Cessnock ¾ and Cessnock ½ were still aligned. This will not be happening under benchmarking so members were not able to see what effect the figures will have on the centres once they are separated.

The Cessnock complex has further builds happening on the complex. Those figures were also given and again confused the issue.

The Executive will work closely with the delegates and all issues will be addressed as we have done with the other centres that have gone through the first phase.

Thursday – workers compensation (individual issues)

Jason and myself attended a meeting at Henry Dean with Senior HR Advisor WHS, Helen Curic, HR Advisor WHS – Injury Management Coordinator, Daniela Badurina, and Senior HR Advisor Industrial Relations, Christopher Powell.

We will issue a further bulletin on this due to the complexities and the current length of this bulletin. It will be out next week.

John Morony

Jason and David McCauley went to a meeting in the afternoon yesterday at John Morony. It was a HR meeting to discuss options for staff around the state. This is for when the centre changes operations.

It was stated that approximately 49 First Class Correctional Officers will be affected and will require placement to other centres. The POVB Executive will be working closely with the members and we have requested to part of the process for transparency. This has been agreed to. There is another meeting for John Morony today and this meeting will discuss the future of the centre and how it will be managed under the new practices.

We will issue a bulletin next week in regards to this meeting.

Nicole Jess

Contact details

If anyone has any questions please contact one of the Executive:

Nicole Jess – Chairperson
0427 609 199

Jason Charlton – Vice Chairperson
0401 500 967

Thor Sutherland – Country Chairperson
0447 633 476

Natalie Howes – Secretary
0407 011 441

Darren King – Assistant Secretary
0407 935 039

David McCauley – PSA Industrial Advocate POVB
0419 022 767

POVB WHS update

Aug 4, 2017

POVB WHS update – August 2017 (PDF version)

To all members,

The POVB yesterday issued a direction to all Court Staff members concerning an alleged assault at Parramatta Court. To assist members complying with this direction, please find attached HERE a Work Health & Safety notification which members should complete and provide to their manager should they feel unsafe in the workplace.

For further information please contact one of your delegates.

Contact details

Nicole Jess – Chairperson
0427 609 199

Jason Charlton – Vice Chairperson
0401 500 967

Thor Sutherland – Country Chairperson
0447 633 476

Natalie Howes – Secretary
0407 011 441

Darren King – Assistant Secretary
0407 935 039

David McCauley – PSA Industrial Advocate
POVB
0419 022 767

POVB bulletin update

Aug 2, 2017

POVB bulletin update – August 2017 (PDF version)

Apologies for the late update. It has been a very busy two weeks, and there is another busy week coming up. As you will all know Parklea hit the media with an inmate filming himself on a mobile phone and then posting it to YouTube.

The PSA and POVB were able to secure some media coverage after this event. Stewart Little was interviewed by The Project and Ray Hadley, and Nicole was interviewed by a country radio station in Orange. It is very difficult to secure media coverage because, unfortunately, media outlets are not always interested in what we see as important.

First and foremost, we have still not been informed officially of the outcome of the John Morony bid. This is proving to be a very frustrating process for everyone involved and we are doing everything we can to get an answer on this.

We are continuing negotiations in relation to the South Coast Correctional Centre. We are in dispute over the 117 staff, believing South Coast requires 125 staff. The SCCC delegates met at Henry Deane building on Wednesday, 26 July to put their case forward. It was a productive meeting and there is another meeting to be scheduled within the next week or two.

On Thursday, 27 July 2017 Nicole, Darren, Jason and Andrew Brown attended the first ever POVB Campaign Committee Meeting at PSA House. Delegates and members from around the state attended a full day’s training to develop plans for future campaigns. It was agreed to start two campaigns, one to target the issue of Privatisation and the other to look at promoting the image of the Prison Officer. It was reported to be a very productive meeting, and was great to see new and old faces wanting to get involved with fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

Also on Thursday, 27 July, myself, Dave McCauley and Julie Bond attended Tamworth Correctional Centre for their Benchmarking meeting. The meeting was also quite productive. The documents are still being reviewed, but at this early stage it appears to be quite a good outcome for the officers at TCC.

On Friday, 28 July 2017 Dave McCauley and Jason met with CESU Governor Craig Osland to discuss PPE and chemical munitions to CESU locations around the state. A comprehensive risk assessment was conducted at Wagga Wagga CESU by SOG Governor Steve Davis and highlighted the need for equipment. Mr Osland will put a submission to A/C Wilson for the purchase of equipment.

Discussions took place regarding the issue of some country locations still working ‘one out’ on B watches. However, this issue remains unresolved. Staff at those locations are still being encouraged to raise any incidents to the State Executive where Police are uncooperative to assist. When and if these issues arise, they will be raised with Mr Osland.

Last week all the POVB Executive members were assisting with new and old individual member issues, going through the documents for all of the centres currently going through Benchmarking.

I am continuing to build the members’ lists and will get those to all of the delegates once it is completed.

This coming week, the POVB Executive will be at St Heliers and also Cessnock for a tour of the Rapid Build facility and the benchmarking meeting.

I am waiting on confirmation of the date of the next Uniform Committee, so if anyone has any uniform-related enquiries, there is still time to send them to me.

We remind members that if they require any assistance, please don’t hesitate to email or call us on the numbers below.

Wishing you all a safe week,
Natalie Howes

POVB State Executive

Nicole Jess – 0427 609 199

Jason Charlton – 0401 500 976

Thor Sutherland – 0447 633 479

Natalie Howes – 0407 011 441

Darren King – 0407 935 039

 PSAMSCLogoSmall

unionshopper.com.au
 PSA-Journey-Insurance-icon-July-2014

 

Indigenous flag dot painting small