Bulletin: International Women’s Day 2019
Friday the 8th of March 2019 is International Women’s Day. This year the UN Women Australia’s theme is “More powerful together”.
The PSA CPSU NSW supports the celebration of women each year and gives us the opportunity to reflect on the achievements we have reached in the fight for women’s rights and gender equality. It also reinvigorates us!
We have fought for equal pay, equal access to job opportunity, paid parental leave and job security, flexible work hours, family and community service leave, lactation breaks and in 2018 achieved 10 days paid domestic violence leave for public sector employees through the “We won’t wait” campaign.
We have further work this year in the areas of flexible work hours and have recently contributed to the UNIONS NSW and the ACTU submissions to the Australian Human Rights Commission for the National Inquiry into Sexual Harassment in the Workplace.
International Women’s Day is also about the celebration of women worldwide and the promotion of economic empowerment, gender equality and basic human rights.
IWD Unions NSW 7th March
- IWD panel of speakers at UNIONS NSW Auditorium. 5.30pm
IWD 8th March
- Women in the Union training at PSA House.
- Morning teas can be held in your workplaces.
- Morning tea at PSA House
- Raising a PSA CPSU NSW Women purple flag.
For our members in their workplaces:
- We are asking you, to hold up the Purple PSA CPSU Women logo HERE with your workplace written in the white/blank space under the logo. Get your women workmates to hold PSA Women CPSU NSW logos with “More Powerful Together” in the background. HERE The more the better! Take selfies and send them into the PSA CPSU NSW [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- Display the “Sydney IWD March” poster wherever you can. HERE
If you can hold a morning tea, this would be a good time to take some shots for IWD 2019.
Speak with your delegate or organiser if you are unsure about your workplaces rights.
IWD Sydney Women’s March 9th March
- The PSA CPSU NSW will have purple flags and paddles as well as PSA CPSU NSW flags.
- We meet at the Archibald Fountain in Hyde Park North at 10.45
- There will be a Welcome from Anne Weldon the PSA CPSU NSW Aboriginal Industrial Officer at 11am with some interesting women speakers following.
- The march will proceed from Hyde Park North to Belmore Park near Central Station where photos will be taken of all the participants before everyone disperses.
- All PSA CPSU NSW flags and paddles will be picked up at Belmore Park.