COVID-19 response – temporary suspension of bandwidth and core time requirements in flexible working hours agreements – voluntary only
In these times of emergency and disruption, DPIE has provided the PSA with a proposal to suspend core time and bandwidth in current DPIE Flexible Working Hours Agreements. This suspension would be on a voluntary basis with an agreement in writing between an employee and their manager.
The PSA has entertained several discussions with DPIE management to better understand how it intends to operate as a potential shutdown takes place and into the foreseeable future.
With the fast paced levels of changing information, the PSA was initially hesitant to readily agree with DPIE until it fully understood and received commitments on the provisions.
What does it do?
The temporary suspension of bandwidth and core time will provide staff with greater levels of flexibility when and how they work their contract of employment hours especially if:
- they are required to work from home/alternative work locations or;
- they are working from the office very early, or very late in order to maintain social distancing or:
- they have school aged children or other primary caring responsibilities that would ordinarily preclude them from working during core time or in bandwidth due to the advice from the Premier to keep children at home.
What are the controls?
- Where it is agreed between an employee and their manager, core time and bandwidth can be suspended within your flex agreement as a temporary measure.
- This arrangement requires mutual agreement, for a defined period of time, and it must be documented in writing.
- The agreement would begin from the next flex settlement period, and must be reviewed at the end of the settlement period (usually 12 weeks).
If the workplace is closed, and working from home or alterative work locations are not available, you are to be paid as normal and placed on special leave, as per the Premiers Circular C2020-01 Employment Arrangements during COVID-19 (you can view that Circular HERE).
If you have any enquiries after speaking to your Manager about the suspension of bandwidth and core time, you can contact the Member Support Centre on 1800 772 679.