It is important over the Easter period that members are aware when the gazetted public holidays are so they know if they are getting paid correctly. The following days are public holidays in April:
- Good Friday, 19 April 2019
- Easter Saturday, 20 April 2019
- Easter Sunday, 21 April 2019
- Easter Monday, 22 April 2019
- Anzac Day, 25 April 2019
Members who are on recreational leave that covers part or all of this period do not need to use a day of recreational leave for any of the above days.
Shift workers on a flexible roster
Members who are shift workers on a flexible roster (anybody who receives one or more RLD per fortnight) have their public holiday entitlements governed by the Parameters for Flexible Rostering.
This allows that members may generally be rostered on a Public Holiday as follows:
- Rostered on duty – paid at the rate of double time and a half (250%)
- Rostered off duty rest – paid at the rate of an average additional day’s pay (100%) in addition to salary (i.e. 7 hours pay for 35-hour a week shift workers or 7.6 hours pay for 38-hour a week shift workers)
- Granted shift free of work – such a shift is to count as one day’s work that week but no additional compensation applies
- Rostered on a Recurrent Leave Day (RLD) – no additional compensation applies. Shift patterns however cannot be altered to avoid shift penalties.
Members are encouraged to check their rosters and subsequent pay to ensure they are receiving their correct entitlements.
Furthermore, any evidence of roster pattern manipulation aimed at avoiding shift penalties, in particular having members disproportionately rostered on RLDs rather than rest days on public holidays, should contact the PSA immediately.
Other Shift Workers
Public holiday entitlements are covered by Clause 89.6 of the Crown Employees (NSW Police Force Administrative and Temporary Employees) Award 2009.
Members who are required to work will be paid at the rate of double time and a half (250%).
Members rostered off duty can elect to be paid one day’s pay or have one day added to their recreation leave balance.
Public holiday entitlements are covered by Clause 21 of the Crown Employees (NSW Police Force Administrative and Temporary Employees) Award 2009.
Unless directed otherwise, a staff member is entitled to be absent from duty without loss of pay.
If you have concerns that you are not receiving your correct entitlements, please contact: