Incident reporting begins with you
The Special Education Working Group is extremely concerned about the increase in workplace violence in schools. Members have reported to the PSA that they were unaware of their correct reporting procedures and how and what to report.
At the recent Special Education Working Group meeting, the committee discussed concerns raised by members in relation to violence in schools and the responsibility of staff in reporting these incidents.
All staff have an obligation to report incidents. An incident is an event that creates danger or risk that could significantly affect the health, safety and wellbeing of individuals and cause major disruption, impact on the effective operation of workplaces. These may include but not be limited to; spitting, hitting, kicking and near misses.
It is also imperative that psychological incidents are reported as this can have a detrimental impact on your wellbeing.
How to report
You can notify incidents yourself or on behalf of the injured/involved person/s. Before you call, be sure you find out:
- As much information as available about the incident.
- Details of the incident, such as date, time and location.
- What the nature of this incident/injury is?
- Was medical treatment provided?
If the incident occurred outside the hotline hours, leave a message on the hotline number. Alternatively, you can complete a paper-based notification form.
- Call the WHS incident hotline on 1800 811 523 and complete an incident report. Ensure that you receive an incident number for reference and a copy of the report lodged.
- Report the incident to your Principal or supervisor and keep a record of the report.
- If necessary seek medical advice.
In the event of an incident occurring; the safety and wellbeing of students, staff and others is the first priority. Incident notification enables the department to act to provide early intervention, management and support where required and take corrective action to prevent further incident or injury.
The Department requires that employees report as soon as possible.
Incident Report and Support Hotline – 1800 811 523; Monday-Friday 8am-5pm.