As members are aware, Legal Aid NSW is undertaking a restructure in relation to the Early Appropriate Guilty Plea Reforms.
The PSA held a meeting at 323 Castlereagh Street, Sydney on 29 November 2017 to discuss this restructure. The PSA thanks members for their attendance and feedback to date.
The PSA is concerned about potential issues arising from such large-scale changes, including the following:
- Workload and Work, Health & Safety implications arising from such a significant change to service delivery.
- The changes to roles and the impact this may have upon highly specialised staff.
- The need for ongoing training, support and professional development for all staff, including supervisors.
- The need for transparent recruitment practices.
- The impact of such changes Flexible Working Practices and staff requiring reasonable adjustments.
The PSA is providing feedback to Legal Aid NSW about the proposed changes and is seeking ongoing consultation to monitor the impact of such changes upon our members.
The PSA has also requested Legal Aid to establish a working party with the PSA to ensure ongoing consultation throughout this process, and will update members about any proposed changes.
What can you do?
- Give a copy of this bulletin to your colleagues.
- Print this bulletin and put it up on your notice board.
- Ask a colleague to join the PSA.
- Get involved as your Area Contact.
- Get involved by being on the Legal Aid DC
- Attend a meeting at your worksite.