Listening meetings Police Headquarters
Recently listening meetings were held at Police Headquarters by your union the PSA on Thursday 18 September 2014.
You provided your union with valuable information on issues in your workplaces and provided ideas which are currently being collated for inclusion into the ongoing Defending Public Services campaign against job cuts, privatisation and threats to working conditions.
The clear message from these meetings was that as a direct result of budget cuts and staff freezes there are:
- staffing shortages;
- a failure to backfill positions;
- budget blowouts where contractors are used on projects;
- increased workload on police employees when contractors fail to complete projects;
- delays in support to operational police officers; and
- devolution of work from other agencies being picked up by police.
Your union recognises that it is essential that PSA members are provided with the tools to face these issues in the workplace.
Where to now?
The listening meetings raised important issues. They clearly demonstrate the importance of an organised and active workplace where members and delegates work together to achieve better outcomes.
We are also in the process of identifying and delivering training to enable members to be more empowered in the workplace.
You can visit the training schedule for the rest of 2014 at: