After the devastating bushfires of 2019/2020, the PSA/CPSU NSW established a $100,000 relief fund for members badly affected by those bushfires.
Then, in March 2022, help was available for those affected by catastrophic floods throughout the state, particularly in Northern NSW.
Yet again NSW is dealing with a flood crisis.
The PSA/CPSU NSW Executive has endorsed a permanent Emergency Relief Fund, which will give up to $1000 to eligible members whose primary residence was totally or partially destroyed by a declared natural disaster.
Members have six months from the time of event to apply for a grant.
Click HERE for a copy of the policy and to apply, should you meet the criteria.
Refer to your Award or Enterprise Agreement for leave you can apply for in the event you cannot get to work.
Whether its job cuts, salaries and conditions or natural disasters, your union will always be here for you.
The people of NSW have access to other relief services during natural disasters
Check your eligibility for assistance with the schemes below.
Service NSW: Back to home grants
If your home has been damaged by the February and March 2022 storms and floods, you may be eligible for a one-off payment to help cover the costs of restoring your property to a habitable condition or replacing essential household items.
Payments are available as follows:
- $20,000 for owner-occupiers to repair or replace essential household items and/or restore housing to a habitable condition
- $15,000 for owner-investors to restore housing to a habitable condition
- $5000 for tenants to repair or replace essential household items or relocate these items to a new residential property.
You’re not eligible to apply if your insurance covers you completely for structural repairs or to replace essential household items.
Payments may be used to:
- replace or repair whitegoods, kitchen and household appliances, household laundry and cleaning equipment, cooking utensils, essential personal communications devices, furniture and bedding
- restore or replace damaged roofing, flooring, walls, fittings and fixtures
- inspect and reconnect damaged utilities, including necessary replacement or repairs to electrical, gas, water, hot water, and sewerage equipment.
Refer HERE to guidelines for complete information and list of eligible Local Government Areas (LGAs).
Services Australia: Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payment
This offers support for people affected by the NSW floods that commenced in July 2022
Lump sum payments and ongoing short-term allowances are available; you may be eligible for more than one of these.
Click HERE for a full list of eligible LGAs.
The Australian Government Disaster Recovery payment is not for minor damage or inconvenience; it is there to help you with major damage to your property or other assets.
Major damage to principal place of residence for example includes;
- it’s been destroyed or must be demolished
- it’s been declared structurally unsound
- this disaster has caused major damage to the interior
- this disaster has exposed the interior to the elements
- sewage has gotten inside your home.
If eligible, you will get:
- $1000 per adult
- $400 for each child younger than 16.