The message has been made loud and clear by temporary staff at Legal Aid; something has to be done about the large numbers of temporary and insecure positions inside Legal Aid.
This is where we need the help of the people affected. A union is only as strong as its members, and we need people on temporary contracts to get on board, join the PSA, and help us with our submission to Legal Aid as to why this situation is precarious, and what we can do to fix it.
The PSA’s campaign is focusing on:
- reducing Legal Aid’s reliance on temporary employees
- encouraging management to show more respect for temporary employees
- ensuring temporary employees receive timely and accurate information
- making it easier for temporary staff to win permanent jobs
- ensuring more fairness in contract renewal decisions.
Speak to your colleagues about temporary contracts, forward them this email, hang this email in a lunch room, share it in your next team meeting – effective change can start with YOU!
If you have colleagues who wish to discuss our plans, what they can do to get involved, or even to hear more about the benefits of collectivised action, they can contact the PSA organiser, Glenn Duncan at or 0409 455 682. All conversations will remain strictly confidential.
There will also be more online union meetings in the coming weeks – we ask all members to encourage their temporary colleagues to join these meetings and to help take action.