The NSW Government has announced an inquiry into the March 2018 Bush Fires that occurred in the Bega Valley Local Government Area. Former AFP Commissioner Mick Keelty, AO APM, has been appointed to undertake an independent review in accordance with the following terms of reference:
- Review and report on the adequacy of the Fire Service’s response to the Reedy Swamp fire in Bega that occurred on 18 March 2018 and subsequently impacted upon the township of Tathra;
- Review the call taking and dispatch arrangements of both Fire and Rescue NSW and NSW Rural Fire Service across the State and make any recommendations to ensure they are best practice, address emerging technology and provide the best possible service delivery to the community of NSW.
The PSA has been invited to make a submission to the Inquiry and is seeking comments from members in relation to the above terms of reference. The timeframe on submissions is tight being 16 April 2018. If you have comments to be considered as part of the PSA Submission please direct your comments to your nearest delegate by 11 April 2018.
The PSA submission will focus on members’ interests, current practices and the best service delivery into the future for the community of NSW.
Your union will continue to update members on the developments of the inquiry and will be visiting workplaces to update members.
As always the PSA welcomes member’s feedback. Should you have any questions or comments please contact your delegate firstly and if required the PSA.
Your NSW RFS delegates are:
Your PSA staff:
Andrew Boulton – PSA Industrial Officer
Bart McKenzie – PSA Senior Organiser
What can you do?
- Give a copy of this bulletin to your colleagues.
- Print this bulletin and put it up on your notice board.
- Ask a colleague to join the PSA.
- Get involved as your Area Contact
- Not a member join online – https://membership.psa.asn.au/register
- Members can update their details at – https://psa.asn.au/update-your-details/