Award variation lodgement
The PSA lodged an application in the Industrial Relation Commission (IRC) to vary the Crown Employees (Rural Fire Service) Award on 22 December 2017.
Your union filed the application on behalf of members to clarify when penalty rates (overtime) are payable. We will provide an update after the first hearing at the IRC.
Work health and safety – establishment of workgroups
At the request of members, the PSA wrote to the Rural Fire Service in late 2017 requesting the commencement of negotiations for workgroups and the election Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs).
HSRs are important as they are elected by workers to represent the interests of workers in their workgroup for work health and safety (WHS) matters.
HSRs have a number of functions based on consultation around WHS.
Trained HSRs also have the power to direct other workers and management to cease unsafe work.
Parliamentary Inquiry into Bullying
The NSW Government is currently conducting an Inquiry into bullying and other issues in emergency services agencies, including the NSW Rural Fire Service.
The PSA expects to provide further evidence at a hearing date yet to be decided.
Many thanks to members and delegates for their interest and support for the Inquiry.
Workplace visits and meetings
Your union will be visiting Rural Fire Services offices and headquarters in the coming months to engage with delegates, members, and non-members to build strength on the ground.
The initial focus will be updating members on:
- The Rural Fire Service Award
- Work health and safety
- Discussing local issues – including reviews/restructures
- Encouraging members to get involved in their union by becoming an area contact or delegate
- Encouraging non-members to join the PSA
Your Rural Fire Service Delegates Committee (DC)
Your delegates are:
Your PSA staff:
PSA Industrial Officer
PSA Senior Organiser
What can you do?
- Give a copy of this bulletin to your colleagues.
- Print this bulletin and put it up on your notice board.
- Ask a colleague to join the PSA.
- Get involved as your Area Contact
- Not a member join online – https://membership.psa.asn.au/register
- Members can update their details at – https://psa.asn.au/update-your-details/