On Saturday 19 December 2020, a serious hostage incident occurred at the Mid North Coast Correctional Centre.
Two inmates – aged 20 and 23 – armed with makeshift weapons, assaulted two Prison Officers, taking one Officer hostage.
Following extremely intense negotiations and assistance from the Services’ Special Operations Group, the situation was resolved around 6:00pm.
The Officer was treated at the scene by NSW Ambulance paramedics before being taken to Port Macquarie Base Hospital for treatment for a number of serious injuries.
At 9:30am today (Thursday 4 February 2021) the inmates were arrested at Goulburn Police Station and charged with the following offenses:
- Cause wounding/grievous bodily harm to person with intent to murder
- Detain person in company with intent to obtain advantage
- Cause grievous bodily harm to law enforcement officer reckless as to actual bodily harm
- Take/detain in company with intent to get advantage occasion actual bodily harm
- Assault law enforcement (not police) inflict actual bodily harm
- Intentionally or recklessly destroy or damage property in company (x2).
Both inmates were remanded in custody to appear at Kempsey Local Court via AVL on Monday 8 February 2021.
The PSA is actively working with the Officers involved in this horrific incident and will continue to provide support to them and their families.
Your union is providing legal assistance for members involved in the serious incident who will make statements in the upcoming proceedings.
If members need any assistance, please contact your sub-branches and/or the Member Support Centre (MSC) on 1300 772 679.