The General Assistants (GA) Advisory Group had its last meeting for the year on Tuesday 1st December both in person and via videoconference. The Delegates were happy to be getting much better at using Zoom and had a productive meeting.
Professional and Ethical Standards Directorate (previously EPAC)
The PSA has seen an increase in the number of GA complaints cases going to PES and reminds members to be professional and respectful around staff, students, parents, contractors or anyone else who comes on site.
If you have any issues, contact the union as soon as possible through the Member Support Centre on 1300 772 679. The PSA has been highly successful supporting GA members with PES cases.
The Member Support Centre will be closed from 18 December to 11 January 2021, but you can still contact the PSA.
For more information on the Member Support Centre Christmas hours, click HERE.
PLNTS and training
At the moment there is still no face to face training, but the DoE are reviewing the process for next year. The GA Advisory Group has three Reps on the PLNTS committee who are working hard negotiating proper training for GAs. In the meantime, check out the online training courses, there might be something there for you.
DoE, in conjunction with the PSA, is developing a new Chemical Safety in schools and the GA Advisory Group will have an input.
PLNTS are trialling a new PDP process for staff. At the moment it involves 12 schools. The PSA is waiting on feedback of this trial.
School holidays – quick reminders for GAs
- With the holidays approaching don’t forget to check the PSA’s document Hot Work May Mean Stop Work.
- Members should also make sure risk assessments are done if you are working over the holidays.
- If you live in an area which may have bushfires make sure you and your school have a Bushfire Plan and get to know it. If you are unsure if you have one, you should ask for a copy.
- GAs are not required to look after contractors.
- Stay safe; make sure you have the contact name and phone number of the person, usually the Principal, who you are going to ring or text each day you arrive and leave the school.
- If you are working Christmas eve, don’t forget it’s a half day and the picnic day has automatically been added into the SAP calendar.
GA Advisory Group
The GAAG would like to take this moment to thank Brett Hammond, GA Organiser, for all the hard work that he has put into making the workplace better for GAs.
Brett will on leave from 11 December to 1 February 2021 for a well-earned break. Please call the Member Support Centre if you need assistance on 1300 772 679.
Your GA Advisory Group delegates will be meeting again next year on 2 March, 25 May, 17 August and 30 November.
The GAAG would like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
For those of you working through the holidays, enjoy the student-free time and stay safe.