NSW Police members bulletin
The General Secretary, Anne Gardiner, together with PSA delegates Marin Jursevic and Donna Glover, met with NSWP Deputy Commissioner David Hudson on 20 October 2015. Concerns were raised following the tragic events which occurred at Police Headquarters earlier this month.
The PSA raised the need for meaningful consultation, in particular concerning the safety of civilian employees working in the NSW Police Force.
Other key concerns also discussed during this meeting included:
- Safety & security concerns affecting members of the Security Management Unit (Special Constables)
- Safety & security concerns affecting members in the Forensic Services Group
- Various safety and security concerns raised by members working at Police Headquarters and other NSWP premises, including 20 Charles St Parramatta
- Training and resources (protective equipment) for members in the Security Management Unit
- Nature of ongoing consultation around introduction of new safety measures
The PSA Member Support Centre has received many calls from members with concerns specific to their workplaces or roles.
On 14 October 2015, an extraordinary meeting of the Police Departmental Committee was held at PSA House where delegates and industrial staff worked to identify the priority issues.
Where to now?
Member meetings are scheduled to be held at Police Headquarters during November and details of these will be sent to members at PHQ and 20 Charles St Parramatta shortly.
Members are also advised to raise work health and safety concerns with your workplace Health and Safety Representative (HSR), your PSA delegate, and the PSA Member Support Centre on 1300 772 679.
The PSA also wishes to acknowledge and extend its appreciation to the Police Association of NSW, for their co-operation and assistance in the hours immediately following the murder of public servant Curtis Cheng.
We also gratefully acknowledge the efforts of our PSA delegates who provided support and practical assistance to our members directly involved in or impacted by the tragedy.
What can you do?
- Give a copy of this bulletin to your colleagues
- Print this bulletin and put it up on your notice board
- Ask a colleague to join the PSA
- Get involved a delegate on the Departmental Committee
- Attend a meeting at your worksite