Special Constables – Transition to increased leave conditions - Public Service Association

Special Constables – Transition to increased leave conditions

Special Constables – Transition to increased leave conditions – May 2018 (PDF version)

Following a ballot in March 2018, an overwhelming number of members voted in favour of the PSA-endorsed negotiation to transfer over from Ministerial Leave Conditions to Administrative Leave Conditions.

Bulletins on this transition are available HERE and HERE.

Although the sick leave entitlement has increased from 10 days per year to 15 days per year, it will now accrue rather than be given up front on your anniversary date. As part of the transition, which will be backdated to 1 May 2018, leave balances needed to be updated to reflect the change from receiving leave up front to accruing leave. As such, many members would have seen their leave balances substantially reduced.

Unfortunately, this change was made without NSW Police informing members about the context of what was happening and many have contacted the PSA with understandable concerns. Your accrued sick leave is not lost and will be carried over. Balances are being adjusted to reflect a move from receiving leave annually up front to accruing it throughout the year.

Transitional arrangements have been negotiated for members who run out of sick leave in the initial accrual period.

In the first instance, affected members in this situation should contact Employee Relations to discuss options. The PSA can assist members in negotiating options if necessary.

An email has since been sent to all SMU staff with this information.

Any members with further questions or concerns can contact their delegates, or PSA staff:

Roland Harris ‑ Organiser

Andrew Wright ‑ Industrial Officer

A union workplace is a fairer workplace – what can you do?

  • Not a member? Get involved by signing up!
  • Already a member? Get a colleague to join the PSA!
  • Make sure copies of this bulletin are circulated and put on every noticeboard.
  • Get more involved by becoming a local union delegate or contact

Related Posts

Back To Top