University professional staff provide a range of skilled support for academics and students, and are vital for the effective functioning of universities. At a time when many NSW universities are straining under the impact of budget cuts and staff reductions, professional staff are more important than ever as a source of support and stability across campus.
The Federal Government’s budget cuts to universities announced over the weekend will hit services to students and exacerbate an epidemic of low morale among university staff, the NSW Community and Public Sector Union said today. Read More
Workers Compensation Insurance. Free only for CPSU/PSA members. All CPSU/PSA members will now be covered if they suffer an injury travelling to or from work. Read More
Current Bargaining Rounds:
Sydney University Enterprise Bargaining
CPSU at USyd’s photostream on Flickr.
At the Unions NSW Meeting on Thursday, 28th February, 2013 correspondence was received from the NTEU and CPSU regarding the outrageous attack on worker’s rights with respect to a fair Enterprise Agreement at Sydney University. The major attacks on union rights include:
• Abolishing the unions as parties to the agreement;
• Removing the right for the unions to hold meetings from the agreement;
• Removing the right of the unions to have office space on campus;
• Removing the right of members to access trade union training and time release;
• Abolishing all review committees including those for redundancy, unsatisfactory performance and serious misconduct;
• Abolishing genuine consultation with staff on change management issues;
• Abolishing the right of the unions to bring disputes in their own name independent of a member; and
• Abolishing workload and working hours’ restrictions, including restrictions against staff not being forced to regularly and systematically work overtime.
The NTEU/CPSU will be taking strike action and seek the support of all affiliates to join a picket from 7.00am on THURSDAY, 7TH MARCH 2013.
Supporters are requested to assemble at one of three gates that are easy to find.
(1) Main Gate on City Road (018)
(2) Ross Street Entrance on Parramatta Road (C8)
(3) University Ave Entrance on Parramatta Road (E22)
See Map: http://db.auth.usyd.edu.au/directories/map/largemapooa.html
A rally will also take place within Sydney University at 12.30PM Cnr. Eastern Avenue & City Road.
I would encourage all affiliates to support the NTEU/CPSU at Sydney University on Thursday.
The CPSU held a members’ meeting on 27 February at Camperdown Campus. Members from four other campuses also connected to the meeting via teleconference. At the meeting the following motion was passed unanimously.
“That the meeting of CPSU Members on 27 February 2013:
– notes the report of the Bargaining Team regarding the current and ongoing impediments to progressing bargaining
– calls a 24 hour strike on Thursday 7th March 2013 in support of the CPSU’s claims in bargaining
– calls for a members meeting on Thursday 14th March 2013 in order to receive a report from the Bargaining Team on the progress towards reaching agreement with the University following action on March 7th.”
CPSU members do not take this action lightly but feel they have little choice considering the Universities attitude at the bargaining table.
Under the Universities draft Enterprise Agreement professional staff face the following:
- a 60% reduction in sick leave entitlements
- a real threat to job security
- far inferior redundancy entitlements than academic staff
- and many more attacks on the conditions that we have fought for and won
To make things worse, whilst the University attacks our conditions they expect staff to accept a 2% per annum payrise. A cut in wages in real terms.
CPSU members demand the University reconsider their position.
For more information contact:
CPSU Branch President Grant Wheeler 0434 367 472 firstname.lastname@example.org
CPSU Organiser Graydon Plumridge 9248 3330 email@example.com
Bargaining Report 1 Bargaining Begins
Bargaining Report 2 Early Victories
Bargaining Report 3 Constructive Work Continues
Bargaining Report 4 Some Progress
Bargaining Report 5 Concerning Lack of Progress
Bargaining Report 6 Summary of recent developments
Charles Sturt University Enterprise Bargaining
Bulletin 1 - Bargaining Kicks Off
University of Western Sydney
The University of Western Sydney Branch of the CPSU (Community and Public Sector Union) serves the following claims on the University of Western Sydney for a collective Agreement for Professional Staff:
For more information about your branch Check out your dedicated website here.
University of Technology Sydney
University of New England Enterprise Bargaining
Bulletin 1 - Bargaining Kicks Off
Bulletin 2- Bargaining Report No 2
Southern Cross University staff are questioning their futures, after the Vice Chancellor … Read More
At a members meeting today the following motions were passed unanimously: This … Read More
The following members have been elected to the University of Wollongong Branch … Read More
The Federal Government’s budget cuts to universities announced over the weekend will … Read More