SafeWork NSW has published a working in extreme heat video that provides tips for businesses and workers tips on how to work safely in today’s heat.
You can view the video HERE.
SafeWork NSW recommendations for working in the heat:
- Provide access to plain drinking water, at least 200mL every 15-20 minutes
- Don’t drink energy or caffeinated drinks which can have a diuretic affect
- Rotate tasks to lessen exposure to the sun as well as mental and physical fatigue
- Ensure workers wear sun protection in all outdoor conditions because workers can be exposed to UV radiation in the shade as well as the sun
- Provide clothing with a UPF 50+ rating such as loose shirts with long sleeves, collars and long pants
- Provide broad spectrum sunscreen SPF 30+, broad brimmed hats and sunglasses which meet Australian Standards for UV protection
Free guidance material on fatigue management and working safely in the sun is available from www.safework.nsw.gov.au or by calling 13 10 50.
Visit www.cancercouncil.com.au for sun safety tips.