Thank you to members who attended the PSA Meeting at Picton High School on 15 May 2019. The main topic of the meeting was issues surrounding the ongoing renovations at the school.
What have we done so far?
The PSA forced consultation with the Department of Education about the renovation in late 2018, and advocated in the best interests of SAS Staff members.
Current WHS issues
- No blinds in staff demountable buildings creating glare on screens and increased heat levels.
- Concern that a proposed roundabout will be too close to staff buildings, with potential risks with crossover of human and vehicle traffic.
- Work at the main entrance to the school is creating trip and fall hazards due to excessive gravel.
- Trip and fall hazards due to cables in the sick bay.
- Sewerage smell in admin office.
- Lack of ventilation in photocopy room.
- School landlines are not fully functioning creating communication problems.
- Students are being dropped off and picked up in a high traffic area. SAS Staff are being asked to supervise this on their own, without a teacher present.
The PSA advises that members raise these issues in writing to your Principal or Supervisor and do not undertake work that is outside your statement of duties.
The PSA also strongly advises members to also report any WHS issues to the Incident Report and Support Hotline on 1800 811 523.
Make sure you keep a record of the incident number you are given when you report the incident.
It is vital that there is a formal record with the Department of WHS issues at your school. The PSA is here to assist you in these matters. The first step to resolving issues such as these is to formally report them as soon as you become aware of a WHS risk.
If you do not receive a response within two weeks in relation to resolving these issues, then please let the PSA know as a matter of urgency.
Let the union about what’s happening!
Members are reminded they should alert the PSA about issues that they have in the workplace both individual or collective. The union cannot act on issues that we do not know about. The Department often do not tell the PSA about developments and we rely on our members to report back to us about what is happening.
You can contact the PSA on 1300 772 679 to raise any concerns.
Would you like to be a union rep?
We are looking for SAS Staff union representatives/delegates at Picton High School to be the point of contact between the PSA and the membership at the school. You will be supported by the PSA in your role and training is provided that you can attend in work time. If you are interested in this role please get in touch with your PSA Organiser (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Your PSA staff:
Your PSA Organiser – Surabi Alauddin
PSA Schools Team – email@example.com
PSA Member Support Centre – 1300 772 679.